Based in Utrecht, Netherlands
21 May 2014
Game Oven's whimsical dancing game for two players, with choreography by the Dutch National Ballet. Twist and twirl elegantly, or get entangled with a friend. Holding either end of a device, you tilt the device around a virtual sphere following a path of rings. You swing your arms and twist your body, and before you know it, you are already dancing. You can play at a bar, during a date, or as a performance, even with other couples playing at the same time.
Bounden started as an experiment to make people ‘dance’ together. After various prototypes, we found a way that was able to make two people, standing opposite of each other, move fluently and synchronously. By that time, we found that designing the movements was immensely difficult: this is why we called the Dutch National Ballet to help us make actual choreography, and to our surprise, their reaction was ‘sure’. Bounden is made in cooperation with the Junior Company of the Dutch National Ballet. The Junior Company is a group of talented dancers led by dancer and choreographer Ernst Meisner, who is responsible for most of the choreography in the game. Each dance is accompanied by classical music composed by Bart Delissen. Bounden is supported by the Dutch grant program Game Fund.
- Choreography by Ernst Meisner of the Dutch National Ballet
- 6 dances + 1 exclusive dance for each platform
- Classical music, specifically composed for Bounden
- Tutorial videos with Dutch National Ballet dancers
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Game Developers Choice Innovation Award Finalist and honorable mention for Best Handheld/Mobile Game" San Francisco, 2015
- "Independent Games Festival Nuovo Award Finalist" San Francisco, 2015
- "Cinekid Best New Media Production Award" Amsterdam, 2014
- "Dutch Game Award for Best Co-Production" Utrecht, 2014
- "Winner of the Pocketgamer BIG Indie Pitch" San Francisco, 2014
- "GDC Experimental Gameplay Workshop Official Selection" San Francisco, 2014
- "Bigsushi.fm Golden Sushi of Sophistication" Boston, 2014
- "Selected for Ludicious - Zürich Game Festival International Competition" Zürich, 2014
- "IndieCade Festival of Independent Games Official Selection" Culver City, 2014
- "BIG Festival finalist for Best Gameplay" Sao Paulo, 2014
- "Bounden is immensely enjoyable, and it made me laugh [...] at the uncoordinated jumbles of limbs we created."
- Katia Bachko, newyorker.com
- "Beautiful and affecting, Bounden is a masterpiece."
- Chris Plante, theverge.com
- "Bounden is easily one of the most fun games I played at PAX East"
- Steve Marinconz, kotaku.com
- "Bounden exploits that isolating tendency to bring us closer"
- Siobhan Burke, New York Times
- "Bounden either turns players into graceful ballet dancers, courtesy of the Dutch National Ballet's expertise, or into giggling messes"
- Jessica Conditt, joystiq.com
- "While the first few attempts may result in fits of giggles, Bounden's creative take on game design will hopefully bring people closer together."
- Chelsea Stark, mashable.com
- "It's like Pokemon, but dancing."
- Jonathan Holmes, destructoid.com
- "You can't help but dance while playing."
- Andrew Webster, theverge.com
- "This is the kind of game I can see pulling out as a great icebreaker at parties, and it's wholly unlike anything else on the iPhone."
- Kyle Orland, arstechnica.com
- "Bounden will teach you ballet and help you hook up. "
- by Jason Johnson, killscreendaily.com
- "One of our favourite games, tricking you into dancing."
- Arman Aghbali, builttoplay.ca
- "This is a little too much touching."
- Leigh Alexander, gamasutra.com
- "Bounden is probably the weirdest and funniest game I've ever played on my mobile phone."
- Leah Yamshon, techhive.com
- "Giggling and awkward limb placement pretty much guaranteed."
- Amy O'Connor, thedailyedge.thejournal.ie
- "I looked like a dork out there in front of everyone, but I'm not ashamed because it was a lot of fun."
- Dale North, destructoid.com
- "...an antidote to vicious multiplayer games, encouraging a collaborative connection rather than a frenzied hatred"
- Rob Hearn, pocketgamer.co.uk
- "It’s sure to get all who play it on their feet"
- John-charles Holmes, twinfinite.net
- "Expect a mess of limbs."
- Nadia Oxford, 148apps.com
- "You don’t know a partner till you play Bounden with them."
- Peter Warrior, blog.appszoom.com
- "As a critic, it’s really hard to figure out what a game really is at its core, but with Bounden it’s clear: joy, grace, and friendship."
- Max Mallory, indiegameinsider.com
- "More physical contact than is likely appropriate for near-strangers."
- Todd Martens, herocomplex.latimes.com
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Game Oven allows for the contents of Bounden to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Bounden is legally & explicitly allowed by Game Oven. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.gameovenstudios.com/presskit/sheet.php?p=bounden.
About Game Oven
Game Oven makes games that make you sweat, previously Fingle, Bam fu, Friendstrap and Bounden. Based in Utrecht, the Netherlands, they are four people from different disciplines that make games with new, weird and unique ways for people to interact with each other.
More information on Game Oven, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Adriaan de Jongh
Game Designer, Game Oven
Choreographer, Dutch National Ballet
Game Developer, Game Oven
Producer and Marketing, Game Oven
Rick van Kalmthout
Michiel van Tienhoven
Music and Sounds
Gilles van Leeuwen
Gerard 'Gerjo' Meier